Best Friends: A Love Story

It was a beautiful morning, the birds were chirping, and the sun was shining. I had the day off from work and was enjoying it by laying outside on a blanket, listening to the radio. Normally, this would be a very relaxing time but on this particular morning I had a lot on my mind. Over the past few months I had developed feelings for my best friend, and roommate, Jason. I had gone through a horrible breakup and he was there for me. Whether it was as a  shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen to me, or the voice that encouraged me everyday, he was there. During this time I found myself thinking of him when I wasn’t with him, and feeling like the luckiest girl in the world when I was with him. I was starting to have feelings for him, I just wasn’t sure what these feelings were or if I should do anything about them. As our friendship grew so did these feelings and I knew they were real and that I couldn’t imagine my life without him. So now here I am laying on this blanket preparing to tell my best friend that I am falling in love with him. As I lay here I think of what I am going to say to Jason. How do you tell this to your best friend? My Mind was blank. All I could hear was my neighbor’s lawn mower as he tried to get it started. I raised my head to glance over at him and I couldn’t help but wonder what he would say if he were in my situation. Would it just be easy for him, or would he be struggling with words just as I am right now? I had all these questions but no answers. I lay my head back down on the blanket and close my eyes. I had to try and relax. Jason is my best friend and it has always been so easy to talk to him, why should this be any different? “Just tell him how you feel,” I continued to tell myself as I waited for Jason to return home.

The wait seemed like forever. On one hand I was excited to tell him about my feelings for him, but on the other hand I was nervous about the affect it would have on our friendship. What would I do if I lost my best friend? I am sure that having all this time to contemplate my thoughts was making the situation worse than it should be. I can’t relax at all as I have so many thoughts running through my head. ” Am I going to ruin our friendship? Can best friends make that transition into lovers & survive? Does he even have the same feelings for me?”I asked myself. Just then I hear Survivor on the radio, “The search is over. You were with me all the while.” They were right. My search WAS over. I was ready to tell Jason just how I feel. He pulls in the driveway after being at the gym all morning. I watched as he stepped out of his Jeep and began walking towards me. I could tell he had just taken a shower because his hair was sill wet. He looked so good to me at that moment and my heart began to palpitate. I tried to convince myself that everything was going to be fine, that I was doing the right thing.

He made it over to the blanket and sat down on the corner of it. Now my heart was thumping so hard that I was sure he could hear it. My mind was racing as I searched for the right words. My whole body felt like Jell-O. What happened next I could have never imagined. Before I could even get a single word out, it happened. Jason leaned in to me and just kissed me. It was wonderful. My mind was now empty and my body felt like it was on cloud nine. Apparently we had been asking ourselves the same questions, and having the same feelings for each other. On that day I instantly fell in love with my best friend and I continue to love him today. It definitely didn’t ruin our friendship, if anything it has made it stronger. May 1, 2007 will always be a special day to us. Two best friends finding love in each other doesn’t happen every day, but we are a few of the lucky ones.